Mariska Hargitay is ready to serve as captain.
Not just of New York’s Special Victims Unit through her longtime portrayal of Olivia Benson on Law & Order: SVU. But also of the 2026 Emmys, where she’ll be the first woman to host the ceremony in 15 years.
Hardly a stranger to the award show, Hargitay has been nominated eight times for her lead role on SVU—winning the trophy in 2006—and took home two statues at the 2026 Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 5 for the documentary she directed about her late mother Jayne Mansfield titled My Mom Jayne. And her partner in crime, husband Peter Hermann, was there to celebrate her big night. Posting a photo of the Younger alum flashing two fingers as she held up the gold figures, Hargitay captioned the Sept. 6 Instagram post, "God I love him."
But two decades ago, she wondered if the case on her love life had turned cold.
"I was single. I was 35," Hargitay recalled on The Drew Barrymore Show in 2022, "and my friends were like, 'Mariska, you need to get out more. Nobody’s going to just show up on your show and ask you marry them.’ And I was like, ‘Oh yeah?'"
The evidence against them: Her future groom made his first guest appearance as defense attorney Trevor Langan on a 2002 episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit titled "Monogamy." Hermann and Hargitay then entered their own monogamous relationship after he invited her to church for their first date.
"I’m crying, and he thinks that I’m so moved by the sermon," the Every Brilliant Thing star added. "And I’m crying because I’m like, 'I know I’m going to marry him. I found my husband. I love him.'"
Realizing he didn’t want to investigate a future without her, Hermann still remembers the moment he knew he wanted to marry Hargitay.
Attending her 40th birthday party, "I actually saw Mariska with all of the people that she loved around her," the 59-year-old told People in 2019. "It was like seeing this person who was now in the soil, that she was just dying to be planted in it. Right? Which was this abundance of people and this abundance of love and I thought, 'I want to be part of that soil.'"
Comments
Post a Comment